Organization: The Canadian International Council (CIC) is Canada’s oldest foreign relations thinktank. It extends from coast to coast in 15 cities offering more than 1000 Canadians an opportunity to engage in the national debate about our nation’s role in the world. Formed in 1928 by Sir Robert Borden, the CIC is an independent, non-partisan organization chaired by former Foreign Minister and Defence Minister Bill Graham.
The branches incorporate the voices and feedback of citizens; engage local communities with programs that involve speakers, seminars, round table discussions and conferences; and organize study groups that generate citizen dialogue and involvement in international affairs. In this way, the CIC reflects the ideas and interests of a broad constituency of Canadians and feeds them into the national debate.
The national office of the CIC, located in Toronto, supports the work of the branches through fundraising, membership management, media outreach and digital communications.
Contract Term: 12 months (renewable)
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: U of T campus
Position Summary: One of the principal objectives of the CIC under the new leadership of President and Research Director Ben Rowswell is to double the membership of the organization and place the organization on a more sustainable financial footing. As Fundraising and Membership Manager you will be at the heart of this effort, leveraging organizational and relationship management skills combined with an eye for detail to building the value of the organization to both members and donors. You will work directly with the President and Research Director and help him implement a vision of the profound importance of citizen engagement in the country’s international relations.
Key Responsibilities – Fundraising:
- In concert with the President, establish and maintain the strategic direction of all fundraising activities across the donor spectrum, from individual and corporate donations, sponsorship, grant writing and special events.
- Conceive and develop proposals for donors, and develop fundraising materials to support these proposals.
- Develop and execute donor cultivation plans; draw on records of past activities, plans for future activities and outside sources of data to inform these plans; and implement effective solicitation strategies
- Implement effective stewardship strategies to strengthen donor relationships; ensure donations are processed appropriately, thank you calls, letters and tax receipts are executed promptly and reports and issued on a timely basis.
- Oversee donation reporting and gift-acceptance compliance under polices and guidelines established by the Canada Revenue Agency for Charitable Donations.
- Update donor database in a timely fashion to reflect all fundraising activity
Key Responsibilities – Membership
- Manage the CIC Membership System by overseeing membership recruitment, retention, and engagement activities; maintaining membership database; and identify opportunities to grow the value of membership.
- Support branches in all issues related to membership, including processing payments, managing renewals, and upkeep of the Salesforce platform used to manage relationships with CIC members
- Conceive, raise funds for and deliver a national conference bringing members from all 15 chapters together, in partnership with branches and supporters of the CIC
Key Responsibilities – Operations
- Deliver sound financial management by maintaining bi-monthly pay operations; oversee accounts payable and receivable; manage accountants and auditors; update financial records via QuickBooks; support budgeting processes.
- Develop and oversee financial services contracts for banking, bookkeeping and auditing.
- Support the CIC Board of Directors by arranging board meetings; serve as board secretary; organize Annual General Meeting
- Liaise with suppliers, the landlord, insurance providers, and other contacts to maintain efficient office operation; design and maintain filing and record-keeping systems.
Key Competencies and Abilities
- Strong customer service-oriented approach complemented by excellent organizational and time management abilities
- Persuasive writing and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for teamwork
- Experience with online communities and demonstrated capacity for learning new technologies
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to balance competing projects to meet deadlines
- High degree of professionalism
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of related education and business experience
- Knowledge of global affairs
- Two years’ experience relevant experience, in a combination of fundraising, donor relations, event management and front-line customer service
- Knowledge of finance management/accounting software and procedures, preferably QuickBooks
- Experience with database management or CRM tools, preferably Salesforce
- Proven record of success in managing a robust portfolio of fundraising activities for non-profit organizations
- Demonstrated success in managing and forging relationships with donors and partners
- Experience with event management
- Strong administrative skills including working experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Dropbox, and Salesforce
- CFRE preferred, or demonstration of commitment to obtain CFRE designation
- Ability to read and write French
- Knowledge of web design and social media
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to send a cover letter, CV, and the names of two references to email@example.com by January 15, 2018 with the subject line “Application for Fundraising and Operations Manager”.
For further information on the CIC we invite you to visit our website at www.thecic.org
We appreciate all candidates’ applications but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Canadian International Council is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a healthy, safe and respectful environment. We value diversity and are willing to accommodate the demands of family life of our employees.