- This event has passed.
CIC Toronto: Canadian Businesses, Privacy & Data Security in the Age of CETA & the European Union’s Data Protection Law
September 11 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm EDT
* How robust is your organization’s data governance model? If your organization “touches” personal data in the European Union (EU) it could be held liable for violation of the EU Data Protection Law – irrespective of where your organization is based.
* What strategies does your organization use to protect data that it collects and stores?
* Did you know that the EU sees the right to privacy as a fundamental human right? Individuals have the right to be forgotten and to have their data erased from the Internet.
* How does privacy protection in Canada and the USA measure up to these EU developments?
Come and discuss the risks and preemptive strategies with two Privacy and Data Security Experts:
– Paige Backman, Partner, & Chair of Aird & Berlis LLP’s Privacy & Data Security Group
– John Daniele, Managing Partner, Daniele of Normandy Company Inc. Strategy & Risk Consulting
– Moderator: Connie Carter, PhD (London, UK), Business Analyst
Paige Backman is the Practice Group Leader of the firm’s Corporate Commercial Group. She is also Chair of the firm’s Privacy & Data Security Group, and Co-Chair of the Technology Group. She practices in the area of corporate/commercial law and has extensive experience in corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financing, divestitures and joint ventures. Over the years, Paige has developed expertise in data protection and technology-related matters and is a prominent legal practitioner in these fields. She also counsels multinational and domestic entities on compliance with Canadian privacy laws and cyber security, including cyber terrorism, preventing and managing data breaches, obligations on breach notification and processes surrounding complaints and investigations relating to breaches.
John Daniele has 20 years of experience working in the security and defense community in Canada and abroad. He has extensive experience building threat management capabilities, investigating cyber threats, conducting vulnerability research and threat risk assessment activities. John has also led offensive red team engagements and provided related training to the Department of National Defense and other security agencies across Canada. John is currently serving as Managing Partner of Daniele of Normandy Company Inc., a firm specializing in intelligence led approaches to cybersecurity operations. He also serves as a Director at the World Federalist Movement Canada.
Price: (Includes reception) CIC members: $20; Non-members: $25; Students: $10