- This event has passed.
CIC Edmonton: NAFTA, how we got here & where can we go
November 30, 2017 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm MST
“The worst trade deal maybe ever signed anywhere” – Donald Trump on NAFTA
The election of Donald Trump as President of the United States has ushered in the renegotiation of NAFTA.
The CIC Edmonton Branch invites you to our next Politics in the Pub event.
Helmut Mach, Alberta’s former trade representative and chief provincial trade negotiator, will speak about the current NAFTA negotiations based on his past experiences,. Mr. Mach will discuss his perspectives, what is going on in the context of the past NAFTA, and give views on the current process.
The event takes place after 5th round of NAFTA negotiations conclude.
Mr. Mach holds an MBA and BCom from the U of A. Mr. Mach represented the Alberta government in the Canadian federal‐provincial mechanisms, and/or participated as part of Canadian delegations, dealing with:
– Canada‐US Free Trade Agreement negotiations
– NAFTA negotiations
– Uruguay Round of Multilateral Trade Negotiations
– World Trade Organization Negotiations, Doha Development Agenda
– Free Trade Agreement of the Americas Negotiations
– North American Agreements on Environmental Co‐operation (NAAEC)
– North American Agreements on Labour Co‐operation (NAALC)
– Multilateral Agreement on Investment Negotiations
– Disputes involving softwood lumber and a variety of agricultural products
– Regional and Bilateral negotiations
– Canada’s Agreement on Internal Trade
Branch-based Contact Person, Andrea Eriksson, Andrea.Eriksson@RoyalRoads.ca