Since its formation in 1931 (as a branch of the Canadian Institute of International Affairs ), the Halifax branch of today’s Canadian International Council has actively served to connect our local population with issues of the world –and with knowledge of Canada’s role in the world community. The Halifax Branch is one of the Canadian International Council’s 15 volunteer-run branches, which, together, hold over 100 events nationally on a wide variety of topics that can range in format from casual Politics at the Pub discussions to expert panels and formal conferences.
With a very knowledgeable and engaged group of academic, business and community members who share an interest in foreign affairs, international business and trade, and Canada’s role in the world, branch activities provide a unique networking opportunity for those who are in Halifax but who have their eyes on issues overseas. The Branch enjoys a partnership with Dalhousie’s Centre for the Study of Security and Development.
We also actively seek to establish relationships with other organizations and institutions in Halifax that share our interest in international affairs. Through these efforts, we have been able to develop stronger programs and extend our reach to include more of the community at large.
The Halifax branch is fortunate to have an enthusiastic group of Executive members who volunteer their time and expertise to organize events and ensure the success of the branch.
We welcome new members, partnership opportunities and ideas to enliven our speakers’ program or to help us to engage the wider public.
Branch Executive Leadership
Tanya Lush & Gary Logan
Outreach Pete Day Diversity & Membership Christine Yang Strategic Planning Norma MacIsaac
March 8 – A Conversation with Women in International Affairs
In honour of International Women’s Day, CIC Halifax will present a conversation among three prominent women working in the field of international affairs to discuss their professional and personal experiences.
Moderator: Valerie Bachynsky, Former President & Executive of CIC Halifax Branch
- Laura Markle, Canada-China Business Council Atlantic Chapter Director
- Nicole Johnson Morrison, EduNova President & Chief Executive Officer
- Dr. Shelly Whitman – Executive Director, The Dallaire Institute for Children, Peace and Security
March 8th, 2021
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM
To register please click the following link:
Platform: Zoom Link – To Be Sent Upon Registration for the Event
Past Events & Summaries
Recent events have included:
- Jan. 21 2021 – Geoff Regan MP – A Discussion with the Chair of Select Committee on Canada-China Relations
- Nov. 16, 2020 The Beirut Explosion – Lebanon 3 months on
- Oct. 14, 2020 – U.S. Election – What’s at Stake for Canada?
- June 4, 2020 -International Development in a Post-Pandemic World
- March 25, 2020 -COVID-19 -at home and abroad
- A changing Global Order: the view from Washington and Halifax
- Canada- China Relations, with Stewart Beck
- Canada’s Arctic Sovereignty