Since its formation in 1931, as a branch of the Canadian Institute of International Affairs, the Halifax branch of today’s Canadian International Council has actively served to connect our local population with issues of the world and with knowledge of Canada’s role in the world community. The Halifax Branch is one of the Canadian International Council’s volunteer-run branches, which, together, hold over 150 events nationally on a wide variety of topics that can range in format from casual Politics at the Pub discussions to expert panels and formal conferences.
With a very knowledgeable and engaged group of academic, business and community members who share an interest in foreign affairs, international business and trade, and Canada’s role in the world, branch activities provide a unique networking opportunity for those who are in Halifax but who have their eyes on issues overseas.
We also actively seek to establish relationships with other organizations and institutions in Halifax that share our interest in international affairs. Through these efforts, we have been able to develop stronger programs and extend our reach to include more of the community at large.
The Halifax branch is fortunate to have an enthusiastic group of Executive members who volunteer their time and expertise to organize events and ensure the success of the branch.
We welcome new members, partnership opportunities and ideas to enliven our speakers’ program or to help us to engage the wider public.
Tanya Lush & Gary Logan
Outreach Chair Pete Day
Membership & Diversity Chair
Strategic Planning ChairNorma MacIsaac
Please see the CIC events calendar
- Jan. 21 2021 – Geoff Regan MP – A Discussion with the Chair of Select Committee on Canada-China Relations
- Nov. 16, 2020 The Beirut Explosion – Lebanon 3 months on
- Oct. 14, 2020 – U.S. Election – What’s at Stake for Canada?
- June 4, 2020 -International Development in a Post-Pandemic World
- March 25, 2020 -COVID-19 -at home and abroad
- A changing Global Order: the view from Washington and Halifax
- Canada- China Relations, with Stewart Beck
- Canada’s Arctic Sovereignty