“I am delighted and humbled to follow The Hon. Bill Graham as Chair of the Canadian International Council. Bill’s dedication to our Council in contributing his wisdom and financial support has been and is essential to our mission. With your help and the leadership of our excellent president, Ben Rowswell, we will boldly build a solid financial base to support engagement of Canadians in foreign policy. Let us grow our membership and have fun discussing the serious choices that confront our country!”
– Maureen O’Neil, Chair, CIC
Thanks to this presence, Canadians from all walks of life, all ages, political opinions, and professions can discuss and learn about international affairs and contribute their views. In reflecting on the ideas and interests of a broad constituency of Canadians, the CIC demonstrates that our country’s foreign policy is not an esoteric concern of experts but benefits from direct citizen involvement.
As thousands of people join in an ongoing series of events and online discussions, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The result is a national conversation on our country’s role in the world.
We engage our members and the public to join the conversation through three types of activity: they can attend events, read our research and can share their opinions online.
- convening events across Canada that inform and engage a wide range of actors — including government officials, business leaders, civil society representatives, academics, journalists and concerned citizens — on pressing international affairs issues;
- maintaining a rigorous research program that produces accessible and policy-relevant material analyzing priority areas of Canadian foreign policy;
- providing ongoing analysis and a diverse array of viewpoints on current world events and Canadian foreign policy decisions on its website, thecic.org;
- publishing International Journal, Canada’s premier international affairs academic journal, and Behind the Headlines, one of the country’s oldest foreign policy paper series; and
- offering learning and professional development opportunities for future Canadian foreign policy leaders.